From grassroots committees to national and international charities, volunteers are crucial to the effective operation and delivery of services across the sector. The way that an organisation recruits, manages and invests in its volunteers can have a demonstrable impact on the individual, the organisation, and the community it serves.
Below is a list of useful resources to assist you in ensuring that your volunteers are both valuable and valued within your organisation:
- Volunteering Matters’ nine noteworthy methods of “getting the word out” and engaging with new volunteers.
- NCVO’s comprehensive Knowhow guide on recruiting volunteers, which outlines the law on equality and diversity, how to write clear descriptions of voluntary roles and how to differentiate volunteers from employees.
- A brief explanation of the rights and expenses of volunteers.
- NCVO’s summary of the types of insurance your organisation may require if you decide to work with volunteers.
- CharityComms’ five fool proof tips on improving communication with your volunteers.
- The Government have released guidance on enabling safe and effective volunteering during COVID-19