Volunteers Seafarers Centre Assistant/North Tees
- Volunteers Seafarers Centre Assistant
Mission to Seafarers North Tees and Hartlepool
Responsible to Centre Manager and Port Welfare Staff
Principle duties and responsibilities include:
- Provide a warm welcome to visiting seafarers at the North Tees port/seafarers centre.
- Assist seafarers in practical ways, including connecting to Wi-Fi, accessing mobile broadband services, exchanging foreign currency for seafarers
- Serve seafarers at the shop/bar, stock up shelves and price goods.
- Assist in the opening and closing of the bar and shop
- Helping the team to keep the Seafarers centre clean and tidy.
- Transporting seafarers to and from ships, as required.
- Provide advice to visiting seafarers on access to the town, Seafarers’ Centre services or other local facilities.
- Develop positive working relationships with managers and staff and other volunteers
- Attend Volunteer meetings for peer support, when required
- Participate in training opportunities as required.
- Ensure information is kept secure and used in accordance with MtS policy on confidentiality and the GDPR.
Knowledge & Skills
The Mission to Seafarers is an Church of England Mission society. Our volunteers need to be in sympathy with our Christian ethos.
- Excellent listening skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to build relationships and trust quickly and effectively
- Excellent team-working skills
- Full driving licence for seafarer transport and access to the Centre
- Compassionate concern for the well-being of seafarers and people in need.
- Able to work under own initiative, as required.
- Willingness to have a flexible approach to volunteering.
- Culturally aware with the ability to relate easily to people from many different countries.
Volunteers are required to be aware of their responsibilities towards Health and Safety and to adhere to the Health and Safety Policy.
This role description does not encompass the complete duties and should be treated as a guide to the duties that the volunteer is expected to perform.
Please complete the form below to register your interest in the opportunity.