Volunteer Van Driver (Food Power Network)
- Volunteer Van Driver (Food Power Network)
The Stockton-on-Tees Food Power Network (SFPN) is a partnership of community groups, VCSE bodies and the Local Authority, aiming to transform the way that communities experiencing food poverty access support, helping people to have long, sustainable lives that are free from hunger.
The role contributes to the aims of the Food Power Network to
ensure surplus food is put to good use providing low cost food to those who
find themselves in food poverty rather than being wasted.
Volunteers are needed to drive a van ensuring compliance with all
relevant safety / fleet procedures. The van driver will enable the collection
of surplus food from a venue in Newcastle for transport and distribution to
community pantries and other venues across Stockton on Tees.
To apply for this role, please complete the application form using the link below rather than the contact form at the bottom of the page:
Food Power Network
- Drive an electric van from a base in Billingham to a
location in Newcastle to collect surplus food from a depot.
- Load the van with crates of food assisted by a van
- Distribute food to community pantries across the
Stockton on Tees area.
- Carry out vehicle safety checks before each journey
and report any issues or concerns.
- Re-charge the
vehicle as necessary on route or at the start/ end of the shift.
Knowledge & Skills
- A confident and competent driver, happy to drive on
the motorway and around town centres.
- Happy to route plan and time manage journeys.
- Able to respond to change and adjust plans to complete
the tasks as needed.
- Reliable, trustworthy and proactive.You should have a friendly and welcoming personality
and be willing to represent the Food Power Network in a professional way.
- Good time management
- The ability to work unsupervised in a proactive and professional way
- A valid drivers’ license
- Volunteers will be automatically covered under the vehicles's Motor Insurance providing they comply with the necessary
procedures put in place by Fleet/Depots for their drivers: i.e. Driving
Licence Check and any necessary vehicle training
- This role will involve early starts and the need for volunteers to arrive to meet the van from a depot in Billingham by 7.30am.
- Shifts will be between 3-5 hours and we ask that volunteers commit to at least 1 shift per week.
Volunteers are required to complete all training considered to be relevant to the role including:
- Catalyst induction
- Manual handling
- Food hygiene certificate
All training is provided free of charge.
Health & Safety at Work Act: It is the responsibility of all volunteers to ensure that the requirements of the Health & Safety at Work Act are complied with; safe working practices are adhered to and that hazards are observed and reported to the appropriate member of staff.
Please complete the form below to register your interest in the opportunity.