Volunteer learning assistant
- Volunteer learning assistant
- RSPB Saltholme, Stockton-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
Do you remember finding your first ladybird? Share in the excitement and assist in the delivery of our education programme to visiting schools where typical activities range from hands on exploration of meadows, woods and ponds to playing environmental games. To help us deliver environmental education at our reserve we need you to deliver fun and exciting activities as part of out-of -classroom learning one or two days per week especially during the April to mid-July busy season.
Our learning programme aims to give schoolchildren the chance to experience nature first-hand and you can be part of that exciting journey of discovery!
What’s in it for you?
The opportunity to make a real difference enriching the lives of youngsters and inspiring them to care and learn more about the natural world with the RSPB. We’ll give you training and experience to build your confidence in helping children have wonderful hands-on experiences with nature.
We can potentially give you the skills to kick start a career in environmental or community education. You’ll be part of a small friendly team of staff and volunteers and have the opportunity to make new friends.
Knowledge & Skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with children of differing needs and levels of understanding
- Field teaching experience would be an advantage
- Some ecological knowledge of habitat types would be an advantage
- Some knowledge of the local history of the area would be an advantage
- A keen interest in wildlife, conservation and the environment
- An enthusiasm for outdoor education and a willingness to learn new skills
- A resourceful and flexible approach to be able to cope with a wide variety of ages and abilities of children
- The confidence and ability to lead or facilitate a fun and active day's education programme, both in the field and the classroom, with a group of students and their teacher
- Abundant enthusiasm and excellent communication skills
- Self-motivated with ability to work as part of a team and alone
Please complete the form below to register your interest in the opportunity.