Therapeutic care volunteer role description
Daily supervision: Unit/ Service Lead.
Accountability: Unit/ Service lead
Location: Teesside Hospice, 1 Northgate Road, Middlesbrough.
Therapeutic care volunteers will
- Engage with patients to provide therapeutic care and interaction
- Offer therapeutic contact that will provide comfort if appropriate
- Read quietly to patients if requested and at an appropriate time
- Chat about the patient’s history and interests, reminisce using memory boxes, photographs and music etc
- Help to engage therapeutically with patients for example: playing cards, jigsaws, drawing etc
- Engage in general conversation
- As part of the therapeutic interaction, encourage patients to be aware of their nutritional and hydration needs, where appropriate
- Support patients with staff permission who may need to leave the unit/ service to attend other areas of the hospice i.e., garden areas
- Complete relevant documentation and the completion of patient experience questionnaires, if and where appropriate
- To act as an ambassador for Teesside Hospice team and promote the service.
- Tact and sensitivity
- Excellent communication skills
- Commitment to the Teesside Hospice volunteering service
- Ability to work alone and as part of team
- Polite and approachable
- Professional approach
As a therapeutic care volunteer, you will complete the following training:
- Teesside Hospice Mandatory Training
- Volunteer Induction Training
- Donning and doffing of personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Training specific for volunteering role in unit/ service
Your commitment to this role will be discussed on an individual basis. We ask that all volunteers commit to a minimum of two hours per week.
Support and supervision
Your first line of support and for any enquiries will be the Unit/ Service lead.
The Unit/ Service lead will provide you with any information updates, training opportunities and upcoming events on a regular basis.
Users of the service
All patients, carers and visitors within Teesside Hospice Care Foundation.
- Volunteer polo shirt (provided)
- Teesside Hospice volunteer badge (provided)
What departments can I volunteer in?
Adult inpatient unit
Wellbeing Service @ Teesside Hospice
To apply for this role contact
Workforce Development Team, Teesside Hospice, 1 Northgate Road, Middlesbrough, TS5 5NW
Call the team on 01642 811060