Older person support volunteer
- Community Service Volunteer
- Independent Age
Working with an older person to support them to achieve their goals. This will be
dependent on the goals of the older person but could include;
• Providing companionship, encouragement and ideas to help people establish new
friendships and enjoy new experiences
• Working alongside Independent Age staff to support people to achieve their goals • Meeting for a coffee in a café
• Travelling with/driving someone to appointments
• Accompanying someone to a social group
• Support with IT/Technology
• Supporting someone to go shopping
• Going out for walks
• Supporting someone to become more active.
Community and one to one work
As a Community Volunteer you will support and work with an older person to help them
achieve their desired goals. We want to ensure that more people can live a happy, connected
and purposeful later life and this role is pivotal in helping us do that. When a person is
referred into our service they will work with us to identify what they would like to achieve.
You will then meet up with and provide support to the person for about 6-9 months to enable
them to achieve these goals. This is likely to be once a week but is flexible. What you’ll
actually be doing when you meet up is dependent on the goals of the older person.
Knowledge & Skills
Training will be given to all volunteers based around local need. All volunteers must attend the initial induction and local induction training. You may also be required to attend additional training such as moving and handling.
Use of a car or the willingness to use public transport would be beneficial as this is a community based role.
- Good communications skills
- Ability to handle personal data sensitively and confidentially
- Happy to work as part of a team or alone
- Commitment to your older person for an agreed period of time
Most volunteers will need to undergo an enhanced DBS with adult barring and complete our training before being matched with an older person.
We ask for a minimum commitment time dependent on each individual match (normally 6-9 months). However, we also have some casual opportunities such as Tech Buddies (helping an older person with video calling/ online shopping etc), being Ambassadors for Independent Age or event helpers and so on. Those roles may include helping staff raise awareness of IA by leaflet dropping or manning a stall for example.
Please complete the form below to register your interest in the opportunity.