Outdoor adventure leader
- Explorer Scout Leader
- Stockton, Thornaby & District Scouts
Are you a fun loving, adventurous person who wants to share their skills and knowledge with others? Do you want to make a difference to the lives of local young people whilst you learn new things and meet new people?
If you’ve answered yes to any of the above then this role is for you!
We’re looking for new people to lead and inspire our Explorer Scouts (aged 14-18) whilst helping them to learn new things through fun, challenge and adventure.
This role is based with our Explorer Scouts who are young people aged 14-18. Weekly meetings take place primarily on a Monday evening although the role can sometimes involve weekend trips, activities and events. Don't let this put you off, we work with a flexible volunteering model and value any time you can give.
- Work with the young people and other leaders to choose, plan and deliver activities giving them the opportunity to have fun, learn new things and develop life skills such as team work, leadership and resilience.
- Lead games ensuring fairness and accessibility for all
- Work with other volunteers to provide occasional camps and other weekend activities
- Work with other volunteers to provide opportunities for young people to take part in the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme
Knowledge & Skills
No prior knowledge is necessary or expected just a willingness to give it a go and to do your best. We have a fantastic team that can support you and provide all the training you need along with subject specialists who can help out too. Some experience of outdoor activities (i.e. map reading, hiking, climbing, kayaking, bushcraft etc) is advantageous however we offer a diverse range of activities so if you have a different skill set then we would love to hear about it.
- A sense of adventure
- An ability to relate to, engage with and motivate 14-18 year olds
- An ability to communicate effectively with parents and other volunteers both in person and in writing
- Good time management
- A good sense of humour
- Volunteers must be aged 18+ (though we do have other opportunities for those under 18)
- A criminal records check (DBS) will be required
- This role has a training commitment - a mixture of online learning, courses and on the job training. This training is nationally recognised and respected by many employers, and completion entitles the volunteer to apply for associate membership of the institute of leadership and management.
- Holding a driving license and having access to a vehicle is advantageous but not essential
Please complete the form below to register your interest in the opportunity.