Growing Places Mentor
- Growing Places Mentor
- Shaw Trust
Volunteer with us at Shaw Trust Enterprises and help people in your community grow. Our Growing Places are social enterprise projects, based on horticulture, that provide wellbeing support to adults and young people with a learning disability, autism, or mental health to become more independent, healthy, and connected within their community. As a Growing Places Mentor, you will support people at our project to access this valuable time in their week by giving them the support and confidence they need to carry out tasks allocated to them.
The people you help may have:-
- Mild to moderate learning disabilities,-
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder,and/or-
- Mild-moderate neurotic mental ill health (such as stress, anxiety, depression)
The daily tasks they will take part in all help us make sure the enterprise runs smoothly and is a great place to be for both our Participants and customers. This could be anything from looking after the plants in stock to helping customers.
Some key duties include:
- To provide mentoring and coaching support to participants of the service
- To support participants with daily activities such as growing plants, site maintenance, retail & customer service, and housekeeping.
- To provide support both one-to-one and in a group setting as participants are taught new skills to enable them to become more independent, healthy, socially connected, and toward employment.
- To help individuals to maintain written records relating to the tasks they completed that day.
Knowledge & Skills
The most important thing you can bring is a strong commitment to helping vulnerable people. Good communication and interpersonal skills are important as is the ability to work both in a team and independently. The ability to work practically and contribute to the general aims of the Shaw Trust is important, as is an awareness of and ability to adhere to safeguarding and Health & Safety regulations.
To volunteer in this role you must be available from 9am to 3pm at least one day a week.
Please complete the form below to register your interest in the opportunity.