Diabetes UK – Befriender
- Befriender volunteer
- North East
- Diabetes UK
We would like to connect people living with diabetes in the North East. We hope that this scheme will help to reduce isolation and give people the chance to receive peer support from someone else who knows what it is like to live with the condition. Sometimes we all need to talk things over and being able to speak to someone else through the befriending circle could mean the difference between a good day and a really tough one.
Befriending volunteers would support this project by connecting with people and offering support via a telephone and email based service.
Main tasks and activities
- Available to respond to calls and emails at scheduled times each week.
- Complete and submit a call log for each call and email received.
- Signpost people to local services that could offer further support.
- Give people the opportunity to talk in a non-judgmental and secure environment.
- Connect with other volunteers supporting the service.
- Maintain confidentiality within the support circle.
- Attend and participate in an initial training session.
Knowledge & Skills
Training will be given for this role.
Skills should include: Empathy, Active listening, and Communication.
Complete training, DBS check, including 2 references.
Please complete the form below to register your interest in the opportunity.