Wheelchair and mobility aids hire volunteer
- Volunteer Delivery Driver
- British Red Cross
We need volunteers like you so that that everyone who needs one can get a wheelchair. Each year we hire out or loan over 75,000 wheelchairs to help people to get around after an injury or illness. Whether it is delivery or collection for people at home, or moving equipment between buildings, you will be joining a friendly team of people who help to get people moving again.
The main element of the role is to deliver or collect wheelchairs to/from people’s homes supporting them to maintain their independence, or you could choose to support members of the public from varying locations around the hub area (e.g. often using partner supermarket car parks) to enable them to obtain a wheelchair or other mobility aids equipment. You could also be driving between hub and spoke locations to transfer stock. This is the ideal role for someone who enjoys meeting people, can show compassion and empathy and who likes driving. It will involve driving a Red Cross or hire vehicle.
Delivering and collecting wheelchairs using a Red Cross van
• Loading / unloading wheelchairs ready for daily runs
• Demonstrating safe use of the equipment
• Using a computer-based stock control system
• Receiving payments/donations and issuing receipts
Knowledge & Skills
Physically able to safely lift or move wheelchairs and other mobility equipment.
• A full, clean driving licence with at least 2 years driving experience and confident to drive a larger vehicle/van.
• Minimum age 21 years old
• Enjoy meeting people and good interpersonal skills.
• Able to work independently and as part of a team.
• IT literate and able to complete on-line training.
• Able to commit to a regular shift on a weekly basis.
• Meet new people and be part of a dynamic and inclusive team.
• A great opportunity to develop your existing skills and gain new ones.
• All training and induction for the role (there is no charge for training).
• Reasonable pre-agreed travel expenses for the role including for attending training.
• An opportunity to be part of the world’s largest humanitarian organisation and the knowledge that you are making a difference to people’s lives.
We require a commitment of 6 months or more
we are interest in applicants who can commit to volunteering few hours (Thursdays) to deliver and collect equipment on a regular basis.
driving assessment will be done, hired van will made available as needed.
Complete all training required
Meet our document which sets out our mutual expectations, to display the British Red Cross Values and behaviours and the code of conduct.
A criminal record declaration and risk assessment if needed
Please complete the form below to register your interest in the opportunity.