- Befriending Volunteer
Befrienders work directly with an assigned family in order to support them to make positive changes. They have some of the greatest responsibility of all the volunteering roles. Befrienders offer support in the family hubs, in the community and in the family home itself.
They work closely with Family Outreach Support Workers in order to deliver specific interventions. Befrienders will gain specific experience of family support, and work closely with professionals across the 0-19 service including Family Action staff and Health professionals. It is possible that Befrienders will get involved with Team Around the Child/Family meetings to help support the family and share information.
* Work with a specific family for as long as is required (within your committed 6 months)
* Provide advice, guidance and emotional support while the families make their changes
* Follow instructions from Family Outreach Support Worker(s) and report back on successes/challenges
* Be supportive and empathise with the family whilst helping them to find solutions
* Empower the family to stand on their own feet and make decisions/take action for themselves
* Be constantly vigilant of possible safeguarding concerns and take appropriate action
* Make accurate notes on your intervention and its outcomes, using a Family Action template
Throughout your volunteering role, evidence Family Action’s values by:
* Being people focused
* Reflecting a ‘can do’ approach
* Striving for excellence in everything you do and
* having mutual respect for everyone you work with, work for and support through our services.
We ask all of our volunteers to:
* Commit to a minimum of 6 months, 3 hours per week.
* Undergo an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
* Undergo all training and supervision as required by Family Action
* Comply with Family Action’s policies and procedures, including Safeguarding, Health and Safety, GDPR and Diversity & Equality
* Safeguard the welfare of children and vulnerable adults
* Protect their own health, safety and welfare
* Positively promote the principles of these policies amongst colleagues, service users, volunteers and other members of the community.
Please complete the form below to register your interest in the opportunity.